Tom's Refreshing Tulsi Mind Tonic
There a few more powerful all-round herbs for health than Tulsi, also known as Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum). It is renowned in Ayurveda and celebrated for its role in both mind and body, tulsi acts as an adaptogen to help us to manage daily stresses. What makes tulsi even more important is that it has an incredible ability to protect us against chemical and environmental stress - being particularly effective at warding away the effects of heavy metals, pesticides and radiation.
I like to drink our Golden Spirit Tea as part of my daily wellness rituals at around 2pm, which is when my self-imposed caffeine cut-off time begins. The refreshing combination of zingy orange zest and earthy tulsi help me to clear my mind from any stress the morning has dealt me and allow me to approach the afternoon with a calm focus.
Recipe (serves 2):
- 3 teaspoons of Golden Spirit Tea
- 4 teaspoons of organic raw cane sugar
- 400ml of hot water
- 1/2 the juice of an orange + orange zest
- First, brew the herbs for 5 minutes in freshly boiled water.
- After 5 minutes, remove the herbs and stir in the sugar and allow the liquid to cool - you may want to put this into another container and in the fridge to speed this up!
- Alternatively, you can cold brew the herbs overnight - just place in a glass container and stir before leaving for 12 hours.
- Pour the herbal tea over ice
- Add the juice of your orange and stir
- Grate some of the orange zest and serve!