Golden Saffron Milk
This super simple and delicious way to use saffron is a tradition from the Middle East and Asia. Saffron's enchanting aromatic nature is a perfect addition to both savoury and sweet dishes and creating a Golden Saffron milk helps to bring out both the flavour and colour of this mystical spice.
The potent colour of the milk meets a very delicate fragrance that is deeply soothing. It's a great sweet treat to enjoy at any time of the day, both warm and over ice.
Saffron is held in such high regard because it is a potent aphrodisiac. The strands contain crocin (also responsible for its vibrant colour) a unique compound to saffron that studies have shown to lift one's mood. The antioxidant properties of saffron are also well documented, but perhaps less known are the weight loss properties from Saffron. Of course, all weight loss should be supported with a varied and balanced diet, this simple Golden Saffron drink with plant milk would be a wonderfully satisfying treat.
Recipe (2 servings):
- 2 pinches of Golden saffron (approximately 8 strands)
- 500ml of plant milk
- Sugar to taste
- (optional: use a couple of strands for decoration or rose petals).
- Gently warm the milk in a pan, stirring regularly.
- Grind the saffron in a pestle and mortar, add this ground saffron to the milk and stir.
- Allow the Golden Saffron to infuse without bringing the milk to boil for 2 minutes before serving.
- Add sugar or your choice of natural sweetener to taste.