Turmeric + Saffron Fritters by Hannah Trueman
Hannah Trueman is a holistic nutritionist & retreat cook specialising in plant-based and gluten-free recipes. She has created these crispy, golden and satisfying fritters using a couple of Wunder's staple ingredients - turmeric and saffron.
If you're looking for a feel-good recipe midweek then this is it. Turmeric and saffron have both been shown to increase levels of our neurotransmitter dopamine which is responsible for feelings of calm. Used in combination they're a powerful pleasure enhancer that will both tingle your taste buds and leave you wonderfully satisfied - thank you Hannah!
- 350g sweet potato (about 2 medium-large potatoes) grated
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon Wunder Workshop single-origin turmeric
- a pinch of Wunder Workshop saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- A good crack of black pepper
- Oil for frying
- Add all ingredients apart from the oil to a large mixing bowl and combine using your hands
- Divide and roll into 8 balls. Gently flatten each ball with the back of a spoon and shape into circles using your fingers
- Heat oil in a pan over a medium heat, then fry each of the fritters for 5 minutes, or until golden and crispy, on each side. depending on the size of your pan, you should be able to do a few at a time. repeat until all the fritters are cooked, you may need to add more oil as you go
- Serve with a dollop of yoghurt or hummus, a side salad, sautéed greens and maybe a poached egg for a delicious savoury breakfast
Leftovers will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.