Nothing is more satisfying than pulling out a tray of freshly baked cookies. But this recipe utilises one of turmeric's amazing properties to create a truly magical visual sensation after your first bite too.
These cookies are golden yellow from the outside, but inside they will create a magical bright red colour due to the combination of curcumin found in turmeric with baking soda!
Turmeric is often used as a simple pH testing ingredient due to the way that curcumin responds to acidic and alkaline ingredients. Curcumin, which is responsible for turmeric's distinctive bright yellow colour turns red when exposed to baking soda which is very alkaline. Note, this will only work if the blend is moist enough and all of the ingredients have been combined well.
Surprise and delight your friends and family with this magic recipe and show us your creations on Instagram!
- 200g spelt flour
- 80g coconut sugar
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 2tsp turmeric powder
- pinch black pepper
- 2g whole cardamom pods
- 1tbsp psyllium husk (if not vegan, use 1 large egg)
- 75g coconut oil
- 2 tbsp water
- pre-heat the oven to 180°C
- remove the seeds from the cardamom pods
- blend the psyllium husk with 2tbsp water to cover them for 5min.
- blend the dry ingredients together (including the cardamom seeds)
- blend the coconut oil with the psyllium husk seeds
- blend the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients
- if it feels too dry, add a couple of tbsp luke-warm water
- create small balls and push them down slightly on baking paper with enough space between them to expand (warning: your hands will get yellow from the turmeric, wear gloves if you want to prevent that)
- place in the oven for 10min.
- remove from oven, they will still feel slightly soft but let them cool down before eating.
Recipe by Zoe Lind van't Hof