When the sun is high in the sky there is little more refreshing and good for you than a good kombucha. The natural probiotics that it provides help to maintain a stable gut flora, improving your gut health.
Plus, you still get all the magical benefits of our Golden Turmeric Chai blend, with a sweet taste but low in sugar because the sugar is digested by the Scoby. Scoby stands for 'symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeasts' and this consumes the sugar, producing a vinegar-like beverage that is sweet and tart.
This recipe is so simple, it just does take a little time and patience. Though once you have started it will be hard to stop repeating this recipe over and over!
What you need:
- 3 tbsp Golden Turmeric Chai
- 85g organic sugar (we used demerara)
- 5 litres of water
- 1 Scoby (find this online, ask a friend, or even use some of a shop-bought, raw kombucha)
- Large Kilner jar or similar + a cloth to cover top.
- Brew the Golden Turmeric Chai in hot water for 10 minutes (ensure the water does not boil).
- Add the sugar and stir, then leave to cool completely (2 hours or so).
- Once the liquid is completely cool, add your scoby cover.
- Leave your brew in a cool and dry place for 7-10 days.
- Remove the scoby and serve!
Planning and patience are required in this recipe but the results are totally worth it. Sip your delicious home-brewed booch over ice and marvel at the miracle of fermentation!