Recipe: Saffron Cashew Mayo by Rocio Graves
Our friend Rocio Graves created this beautiful golden recipe with our Saffron and we can't wait for you to try it!
"This recipe is a recent creation and one I am in love with! Those who have tried it speak to its decadent consistency and flavour. It uses very similar ingredients to the classic mayonnaise recipe, with olive oil being one of the main ingredients — so using the best olive oil you have access to, will add to the beauty of this recipe. The saffron adds the bright colour punch as well as a subtle but very present flavour. I love it as a spread on a piece of sourdough toast and it pairs perfectly with pickles — but the options for it are endless! "
Ingredients (makes approximately 2 cups):
- 1 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup good quality cold pressed olive oil
- 1 TBSP strong smooth dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 10 - 15 saffron strands
- 2 TBSP boiling water
- Soak the cashews in room temperature water for at least 4 hours until they become completely soft and tender — this will make a difference to the final consistency of the mayonnaise.
- When you are ready to make the mayonnaise, infuse the saffron strands in two tablespoons of freshly boiled water in a small bowl; simply pour the water over the saffron strands and leave to infuse for ten minutes.
- Drain the soaked cashews through a strainer and throw them in a high speed blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend for approximately a minute or until completely silky smooth — you might need to assist the blender by scraping the sides and pushing them down as you go.
- Spoon into a glass jar or tupperware, store in the fridge for up to a week!